[Python-Dev] threadsafe patch for asynchat

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 7 07:29:49 CET 2006

Mark Edgington wrote:
> Does anyone have any comments about applying the following patch to
> asynchat?

That patch looks wrong. What does it mean to "run in a thread"?
All code runs in a thread, all the time: sometime, that thread
is the main thread.

Furthermore, I can't see any presumed thread-unsafety in asynchat.

Sure, there is a lot of member variables in asynchat which aren't
specifically protected against mutual access from different threads.
So you shouldn't be accessing the same async_chat object from multiple
threads. I cannot see why using a creating and using
an async_chat object in a thread that is not the main thread
could cause any problems. I also cannot see how this patch could
have significant effect on asyn_chat's behaviour when used in
multiple threads.

Regards,
Martin