[Python-Dev] Let's just *keep* lambda

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 7 07:36:12 CET 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> But I know that everyone and their email client is against me on this
> one, so I am not going to really try to tear into this.  But I do
> think that lambda needs a renaming.  Speaking as someone who still
> forgets that Python's lambda is not the same as those found in
> functional languages

Can you elaborate on that point? I feel that Python's lambda is exactly
the same as the one in Lisp. Sure, the Lisp lambda supports multiple
sequential expressions (the "progn" feature), but I understand that
this is just "an extension" (although one that has been around several
decades).

Of course, Python's expressions are much more limited as Lisp's (where
you really can have macros and special forms in as the "expression"
in a lambda), but the lambda construct itself seems to be the very
same one.

Regards,
Martin