[Python-Dev] Python modules should link to libpython

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 20:02:40 CET 2006

On 8-feb-2006, at 19:55, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>>   Any thoughts?  Should I go ahead and open a bug report (maybe with
>> patch), or is this controversial?
>
> I can accept that the Mac does it differently, although I think the
> rationale for doing that is dangerous: you shouldn't really attempt
> to share extension modules across Python versions.

My explanation seems to be bad, I meant to say sharing extensions across
different builds of the same Python version. One might install a normal
unix build in /opt/python and a framework build in /Library/Frameworks.

This is not as important now as it was when Python 2.3.x was state of
the
art, then you could have a python 2.3.x framework both in
/System/Library/Frameworks (provided by Apple) and in /Library/
Frameworks
(build yourself or downloaded the official MacPython binaries). Those
would
share the same site-packages directory (/Library/Python/2.3).

Ronald