[Python-Dev] _length_cue()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 9 16:39:40 CET 2006

<skip at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:17387.21506.776343.95040 at montanaro.dyndns.org...
>    >>> Might I suggest that at least you consider using "hint" instead of
> "cue"?
>
>    Greg> I agree that "hint" is a more precise name.
>
> Ditto.  In addition, we already have queues.  Do we really need to use a
> homonym that means something entirely different?  (Hint: consider the
> added
> difficulty for non-native English speakers).

Even as a native English speaker, but without knowing the intended meaning,
I did not understand or guess that length_cue meant length_hint.  The
primary meaning of cue is 'signal to begin some action', with 'hint,
suggestion' being a secondary meaning.  Even then, I would take it as
referring to possible action rather than possible information.

Cue is also short for queue, leading to cue stick (looks like a pigtail,
long and tapering) and cue ball.