[Python-Dev] _length_cue()

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Feb 10 14:08:06 CET 2006

Hi Raymond,

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:21:02PM -0500, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> (... __getitem_cue__ ...)
> Before putting this in production, it would probably be worthwhile to search
> for code where it would have been helpful.  In the case of __length_cue__,
> there was an immediate payoff.

Indeed, I don't foresee any place where it would help apart from the
__repr__ of the iterators, which is precisely what I'm aiming at.  The
alternative here would be a kind of "smart" global function that knows
about many built-in iterator types and is able to fish for the data
inside automatically (but this hits problems of data structures being
private).  I thought that __getitem_cue__ would be a less dirty
solution.  I really think a better __repr__ would be generally helpful,
and I cannot think of a 3rd solution at the moment...  (Ideas welcome!)

A bientot,

Armin