[Python-Dev] Pervasive socket failures on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 10 21:47:26 CET 2006

Scott Dial wrote:
> This begs the question then whether the check that is implemented has
> any relevance to any platform other than Linux. I am no portability
> guru, but I have to think there are other platforms where this patch
> will cause problems.

The patch is right on all platforms conforming to the POSIX standard.
POSIX says that FD_ISSET and friends have undefined behaviour if
the file descriptor is larger than FD_SETSIZE.

For platforms not conforming to the POSIX standard, the patch errs
on the conservative side: it refuses to do something that POSIX
says has undefined behaviour, yet may be well-defined on that
platform.

Disabling this for Windows is fine with me; I also think there should
be some kind of documentation that quickly shows the potential cause
of the exception

Regards,
Martin