[Python-Dev] release plan for 2.5 ?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Feb 10 23:45:54 CET 2006

On 2/10/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:

> > > Yes, please.
>
> > +0 for adding relative imports. -1 for raising errors for
> > in-package relative imports using the current notation
> > in Python 2.6.
>
> +1/-1 for me. Being able to explicitly demand relative imports is good,
> breaking things soon bad. I'll happily shoehorn this in at the sprints after
> PyCon ;)

The PEP has the following timeline (my interpretation):

2.4: implement new behavior with from __future__ import absolute_import
2.5: deprecate old-style relative import unless future statement present
2.6: disable old-style relative import, future statement no longer necessary

Since it wasn't implemented in 2.4, I think all these should be bumped
by one release. Aahz, since you own the PEP, can you do that (and make
any other updates that might result)?