[Python-Dev] release plan for 2.5 ?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 22:09:52 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Next, the schedule. Neal's draft of the schedule has us releasing 2.5
> in October. That feels late -- nearly two years after 2.4 (which was
> released on Nov 30, 2004). Do people think it's reasonable to strive
> for a more aggressive (by a month) schedule, like this:
>
>     alpha 1: May 2006
>     alpha 2: June 2006
>     beta 1:  July 2006
>     beta 2:  August 2006
>     rc 1:    September 2006
>     final:   September 2006
>
> ??? Would anyone want to be even more aggressive (e.g. alpha 1 right
> after PyCon???). We could always do three alphas.

I am not experienced in releasing, but with the multitude of new things
introduced in Python 2.5, could it be a good idea to release an early alpha
not long after all (most of?) the desired features are in the trunk?
That way people would get to testing sooner and the number of non-obvious
bugs may be reduced (I'm thinking of the import PEP, the implementation of
which is bound to be hairy, or "with" in its full extent).

Georg