[Python-Dev] Pervasive socket failures on Windows

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 11 14:48:46 CET 2006

On 10-feb-2006, at 23:49, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Tim Peters wrote:
>> I don't know.  Of course it misses similar new tests added to _ssl.c
>> (see the msg that started this thread), so it spreads beyond just
>> this.  Does it do the right thing for Windows variants like Cygwin,
>> and OS/2?  Don't know.
>
> I see. How does Py_SOCKET_FD_CAN_BE_GE_FD_SETSIZE help here?
> Does defining it in PC/pyconfig.h do the right thing?
>
> I guess I'm primarily opposed to the visual ugliness of the
> define. Why does it spell out "can be", but abbreviates
> "greater than or equal to"? What about Py_CHECK_FD_SETSIZE?

If I understand this discussion correctly that code that would be
conditionalized using this define is the IS_SELECTABLE macro in
selectmodule.c and very simular code in other modules. I'd say that
calling the test _Py_IS_SELECTABLE and putting it into pyport.h
as Tim mentioned in an aside seems to be a good solution. At the
very least it is a lot nicer than defining a very long name in
pyconfig.h and then having very simular code in several #if blocks.

Ronald