[Python-Dev] release plan for 2.5 ?

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 07:38:10 CET 2006

On 2/10/06, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> I am not experienced in releasing, but with the multitude of new things
> introduced in Python 2.5, could it be a good idea to release an early alpha
> not long after all (most of?) the desired features are in the trunk?

In the past, all new features had to be in before beta 1 IIRC (it
could have been beta 2 though).  The goal is to get things in sooner,
preferably prior to alpha.

For 2.5, we should strive really hard to get features implemented
prior to alpha 1.  Some of the changes (AST, ssize_t) are pervasive.
AST while localized, ripped the guts out of something every script
needs (more or less).  ssize_t touches just about everything it seems.