[Python-Dev] ssize_t branch (Was: release plan for 2.5 ?)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 12 12:13:53 CET 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> I'm tempted to say we should merge now.  I know the branch works on
> 64-bit boxes.  I can test on a 32-bit box if Martin hasn't already.
> There will be a lot of churn fixing problems, but maybe we can get
> more people involved.

The ssize_t branch has now all the API I want it to have. I just
posted the PEP to comp.lang.python, maybe people have additional
things they consider absolutely necessary.

There are two aspects left, and both can be done after the merge:
- a lot of modules still need adjustments, to really support
  64-bit collections. This shouldn't cause any API changes, AFAICT.

- the printing of Py_ssize_t values should be supported. I think
  Tim proposed to provide the 'z' formatter across platforms.
  This is a new API, but it's a pure extension, so it can be
  done in the trunk.

I would like to avoid changing APIs after the merge to the trunk
has happened; I remember Guido saying (a few years ago) that this
change must be a single large change, rather many small incremental
changes. I agree, and I hope I have covered everything that needs
to be covered.

Regards,
Martin