[Python-Dev] PEP for adding an sq_index slot so that any object, a or b, can be used in X[a:b] notation

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Feb 13 21:32:15 CET 2006

On 2/13/06, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guido:
>
> > I don't like __true_int__ very much. Personally,
> > I'm fine with calling it __index__
>
> index is OK, but is there a reason __integer__ would be
> rejected?
>
> __int__ roughly follows the low-level C implementation,
> and may do odd things on unusual input.
>
> __integer__ properly creates a conceptual integer, so
> it won't lose or corrupt information (unless the class
> writer does this intentionally).

Given the number of folks who misappreciate the difference between
__getattr__ and __getattribute__, I'm not sure I'd want to encourage
using abbreviated and full forms of the same term in the same context.
When confronted with the existence of __int__ and __integer__ I can
see plenty of confusion ahead.