[Python-Dev] str object going in Py3K

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Feb 16 03:57:26 CET 2006

On 2/15/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > So how about
> > openbytes? This clearly links the resulting object with the bytes
> > type, which is mutually reassuring.
>
> That looks quite nice.
>
> Another thought -- what is going to happen to os.open?
> Will it change to return bytes, or will there be a new
> os.openbytes?

Hm, I hadn't thought about that yet. On Windows, os.open has the
ability to set text or binary mode. But IMO it's better to make this
always use binary mode.

My expectation is that the Py3k standard I/O library will do all of
its own conversions on top of binary files anyway -- if you missed it,
I'd like to get rid of any ties to C's stdio.