[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 17 23:22:37 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 2/16/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>
>>/usr/share often is on a different mount; that's the whole rationale
>>for /usr/share.
>

> I don't think I've worked at a place where something like that was
> done for at least 10 years. Isn't this argument outdated?

It still *is* the rationale for putting things into /usr/share,
even though I agree that probably nobody actually does that.

That, in turn, is because nobody is so short of disk space that
you really *have* to share /usr/share across architectures, and
because trying to do the sharing still causes problems (e.g.
what if the packaging systems of different architectures
all decide to put the same files into /usr/share?)

Regards,
Martin