[Python-Dev] bytes.from_hex()

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Feb 19 11:36:09 CET 2006

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> writes:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>>
>>> To assure that only those types can be returned from those
>>> methods, ie. instances of basestring, which in return permits
>>> type inference for those methods.
>>
>> Hmm. So it for type inference????
>> Where is that documented?
>
> Somewhere in the python-dev mailing list archives ;-)
>
> Seriously, we should probably add this to the documentation.

Err.................. I don't think this is a good argument, for quite
a few reasons.  There certainly aren't many other features in Python
designed to aid type inference and the knowledge that something
returns "unicode or str" isn't especially useful...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ROOSTA:  Ever since you arrived on this planet last night you've
           been going round telling people that you're Zaphod