[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 19 16:14:14 CET 2006

    Guido> On 2/16/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

    >> /usr/share often is on a different mount; that's the whole
    >> rationale for /usr/share.

    Guido> I don't think I've worked at a place where something like
    Guido> that was done for at least 10 years. Isn't this argument
    Guido> outdated?

I don't know.  It may be obsolete in practice.  I just know that I do
it, and so do several of the people on Coda list.

In my case, I don't do it because I'm short of disk space.  I do it
because my preferred distributed file system is Coda, which doesn't
support exporting a local file system.  You use a specialized server
instead.  Because Coda is designed for disconnected use, the files I
actually am using are in the cache (200MB, so cache misses when
disconnected are fairly rare).  But if the host whose files I'm
browsing gets an update and I'm connected, Coda automatically
refreshes the cache.

Coda is still not really production quality, and development on Coda
and similar (eg Intermezzo) seem pretty slow, so this use case may
never be of practical importance.