[Python-Dev] Does eval() leak?

John Marshall John.Marshall at ec.gc.ca
Mon Feb 20 16:19:17 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> John Marshall wrote:
>
>>Should I expect the virtual memory allocation
>>to go up if I do the following?
>

> python-dev is a list for discussing development of Python,
> not the development with Python. Please post this question
> to python-list at python.org.
>
> For python-dev, a message explaining where the memory leak
> is and how to correct it would be more appropriate. Most
> likely, there is no memory leak in eval.

My question was not a "development with Python" question.
However, I posted to python-list as you said. Only one
person responded to a request to test the provided code (~10
lines) which demonstrates a problem with eval()--he
confirmed my observations. As the problem _does exist_ for
2.3.5 which is the last 2.3 version still available at
python.org, I would suggest people avoid using it if they
do eval()s.

Unfortunately I, myself, cannot check into it more.

John