[Python-Dev] buildbot vs. Windows

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:24:59 CET 2006

[Aahz]
> If you're willing to commit to running a buildbot, and the only thing
> preventing you is shelling out $$$ to Microsoft, send me e-mail.  I'll
> compile a list to send to the PSF and we'll either poke Microsoft to
> provide some more free licenses or pay for it ourselves.  This is what
> the PSF is for!

Speaking as a PSF director, I might not vote for that :-)  Fact is
I've been keeping the build & tests 100% healthy on WinXP Pro, and
that requires more than just running the tests (it also requires
repairing compiler warnings and Unixisms).

Speaking of which, a number of test failures over the past few weeks
were provoked here only under -r (run tests in random order) or under
a debug build, and didn't look like those were specific to Windows.
Adding -r to the buildbot test recipe is a decent idea.  Getting
_some_ debug-build test runs would also be good (or do we do that
already?).

Anyway, since XP Pro is effectively covered, I'd be keener to see a
Windows buildbot running under a different flavor of Windows.  I
expect I'll eventually volunteer my home box to run an XP buildbot,
but am in no hurry (and probably won't leave any machine here turned
on 24/7 regardless).