[Python-Dev] readline compilarion fails on OSX

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 21 22:45:13 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Thanks! That worked.
>
> But shouldn't we try to fix setup.py to detect this situation instead
> of making loud clattering noises?

One of my concerns with the distutils build process is that it
takes failures lightly. Unlike make, it won't stop when an error
occurs, but instead go on with the next module. Then, when you
retry make, it will retry building the module again, which will
again fail. Also happens with the curses module on Solaris.

buildbot's detection of build failures is restricted to the exit
status of the build process. The build either succeeds or fails.

Regards,
Martin