[Python-Dev] PEP for Better Control of Nested Lexical Scopes

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Feb 22 08:09:20 CET 2006

Mark Russell wrote:

> PEP 227 mentions using := as a rebinding operator, but rejects the
> idea as it would encourage the use of closures.

Well, anything that facilitates rebinding in outer scopes
is going to encourage the use of closures, so I can't
see that as being a reason to reject a particular means
of rebinding. You either think such rebinding is a good
idea or not -- and that seems to be a matter of highly
individual taste.

On this particular idea, I tend to think it's too obscure
as well. Python generally avoids attaching randomly-chosen
semantics to punctuation, and I'd like to see it stay
that way.

--
Greg