[Python-Dev] defaultdict and on_missing()

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Feb 22 18:44:33 CET 2006

On 2/22/06, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> [Guido van Rossum"]
> > If we removed on_missing() from dict, we'd have to override
> > __getitem__ in defaultdict (regardless of whether we give
> >defaultdict an on_missing() hook or in-line it).
>
> You have another option.  Keep your current modifications to
> dict.__getitem__ but do not include dict.on_missing().  Let it only
> be called in a subclass IF it is defined; otherwise, raise KeyError.

OK. I don't have time right now for another round of patches -- if you
do, please go ahead. The dict docs in my latest patch must be updated
somewhat (since they document on_missing()).

> That keeps me happy since the basic dict API won't show on_missing(),
> but it still allows a user to attach an on_missing method to a dict subclass
> when
> or if needed.  I think all your test cases would still pass without
> modification.

Except the ones that explicitly test for dict.on_missing()'s presence
and behavior. :-)

> This is approach is not much different than for other magic methods which
> kick-in if defined or revert to a default behavior if not.

Right. Plenty of precedent there.

> My core concern is to keep the dict API clean as a whistle.

Understood.