[Python-Dev] Using and binding relative names (was Re: PEP forBetter Control of Nested Lexical Scopes)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:07:42 CET 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Ron Adam wrote:
> How would you know you aren't in inadvertently masking a name in a
> function you call?

What does calling have to do with it?  Nobody's proposing a move to
(shudder) dynamic scopes, we're talking of saner concepts such as
lexical scopes anyway.  Can you give an example of what you mean?

For the record: I detest the existing 'global' (could I change but
ONE thing in Python, that would be the one -- move from hated
'global' to a decent namespace use, e.g. glob.x=23 rather than global
x;x=23), and I'd detest a similar 'outer' just as intensely (again,
what I'd like instead is a decent namespace) -- so I might well be
sympathetic to your POV, if I could but understand it;-).

Alex