[Python-Dev] Using and binding relative names (was Re: PEP forBetter Control of Nested Lexical Scopes)

Almann T. Goo almann.goo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:27:42 CET 2006

On 2/26/06, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> I'm -1 on adding the intermediate (outer) scopes to functions. I'd even
> like to see closures gone completely, but there's probably a reason they
> are there.

We already have enclosing scopes since Python 2.1--this is PEP 227
(http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0227.html).  The proposal is for a
mechanism to allow for re-binding of enclosing scopes which seems like
a logical step to me.  The rest of the scoping semantics would remain
as they are today in Python.

-Almann

--
Almann T. Goo