[Python-Dev] Translating docs

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Feb 27 23:46:32 CET 2006

Facundo Batista wrote:

> After a small talk with Raymond, yesterday in the breakfast, I
> proposed in PyAr the idea of start to translate the Library Reference.
>
> You'll agree with me that this is a BIG effort. But not only big, it's dynamic!
>
> So, we decided that we need a system that provide us the management of
> the translations. And it'd be a good idea the system to be available
> for translations in other languages.
>
> One of the guys proposed to use Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/).
>
> The question is, it's ok to use a third party system for this
> initiative? Or you (we) prefer to host it in-house? Someone alredy
> thought of this?

localized editions (with editing support) is definitely within the scope
for a more dynamic library reference platform [1].

with a more granular structure, you can easily track changes on a
method/function level, and dynamically generate pages that suits
the reader ("official english for version X.Y", "experimental norwegian",
"mixed latest english/german", etc).

(but until we get there (if ever), I see no reason not to use an existing
infrastructure, of course).

</F>

1) http://effbot.org/zone/pyref.htm