[Python-Dev] Switch to MS VC++ 2005 ?!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 28 01:07:40 CET 2006

"Benji York" <benji at benjiyork.com> wrote in message
news:44034818.7020101 at benjiyork.com...
>>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
>
> The express editions are only "free" until November 7th:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx#pricing

One can keep using any version downloaded before that date, but I would not
be surprised to see a bugfix sometime after.

There is also this:
"
2.What can I do with the Express Editions?
 Evaluate the .NET Framework for Windows and Web development.
"
and this

"
13.Can I develop applications using the Visual Studio Express Editions to
target the .NET Framework 1.1?
No, each release of Visual Studio is tied to a specific version of the .NET
Framework. The Express Editions can only be used to create applications
that run on the .NET Framework 2.0.
"
'Free' is not always free.  This appears to be a .NET 2 promotion.

Perhaps the Firefox people are using the professional version, without such
a limitation?

Terry Jan Reedy