[Python-Dev] Switch to MS VC++ 2005 ?!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 28 01:07:40 CET 2006

"Benji York" <benji at benjiyork.com> wrote in message
news:44034818.7020101 at benjiyork.com...
>>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
> The express editions are only "free" until November 7th:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx#pricing

One can keep using any version downloaded before that date, but I would not
be surprised to see a bugfix sometime after.

There is also this:
2.What can I do with the Express Editions?
 Evaluate the .NET Framework for Windows and Web development.
and this

13.Can I develop applications using the Visual Studio Express Editions to
target the .NET Framework 1.1?
No, each release of Visual Studio is tied to a specific version of the .NET
Framework. The Express Editions can only be used to create applications
that run on the .NET Framework 2.0.
'Free' is not always free.  This appears to be a .NET 2 promotion.

Perhaps the Firefox people are using the professional version, without such
a limitation?

Terry Jan Reedy