[Python-Dev] Switch to MS VC++ 2005 ?!

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 28 01:28:21 CET 2006

Zitat von Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>:

> "
> 2.What can I do with the Express Editions?
>  Evaluate the .NET Framework for Windows and Web development.
> "
> and this
>
> "

Yes, but also this:

"""4. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the
Express Editions.
"""

> 13.Can I develop applications using the Visual Studio Express Editions to
> target the .NET Framework 1.1?
> No ...

> 'Free' is not always free.  This appears to be a .NET 2 promotion.

Well, this is completely irrelevant for Python. Python does not use
any .NET whatsoever (except for IronPython, of course). What framework
version the C# links with is irrelevant for the to-native C compiler.

> Perhaps the Firefox people are using the professional version, without such
> a limitation?

I guess the Express version can also build firefox, just fine.

Regards,
Martin