[Python-Dev] Long-time shy failure in test_socket_ssl

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:48:44 CET 2006

[1/24/06, Tim Peters]
>> test_rude_shutdown() is dicey, relying on a sleep() instead of proper
>> synchronization to make it probable that the `listener` thread goes
>> away before the main thread tries to connect, but while that race may
>> account for bogus TestFailed deaths, it doesn't seem possible that it
>> could account for the kind of failure above.

[Tim Peters]
> Well, since it's silly to try to guess about one weird failure when a
> clear cause for another kind of weird failure is known, I checked in
> changes to do "proper" thread synchronization and termination in that
> test.  Hasn't failed here since, but that's not surprising (it was
> always a "once in a light blue moon" kind of thing).

Neal plugged another hole later, but-- alas --I have seen the same shy
failure since then on WinXP.  One of the most recent buildbot test
runs saw it too, on a non-Windows box:

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk/g5%20osx.3%20trunk/builds/204/step-test/0

test_socket_ssl
test test_socket_ssl crashed --
    exceptions.TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

in the second test run there.

Still no theory!  Maybe we can spend the next 3 days sprinting on it :-)