[Python-Dev] buildbot

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jan 3 17:04:05 CET 2006

On 3-jan-2006, at 16:46, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Bob> The easy fix is to upgrade your OS.  I don't think anyone
> is going
>     Bob> to bother with the preprocessor hackery necessary to make
> that
>     Bob> (harmless) warning go away on older versions of the OS.
>
> Excuse me, but this really pisses me off.  I delayed upgrading from
> 10.2 for
> awhile and was given the same "advice".  I was further told (check
> the mac
> sig archives) that "you'd be able to stick with 10.3 for much longer"
> because new apps wouldn't need to require 10.4.  So I upgraded.
> Now you're
> telling me that it's somehow "obsolete" and that I should upgrade
> because
> "we can't be bothered to fix a compiler warning"?  Python supports
> much
> older versions of other platforms.  What makes Mac OSX so special
> in this
> regard?

This is a completely harmless warning, but I agree it is annoying
that older
versions of the OS are neglected.

At least for me, supporting older versions of OSX is hard. Both my
system at
work and my private system run 10.4 by default, which means I'll have
to reboot
and leave my normal work environment to work on older versions.
Thanks to the
age of my machines "older versions" is limited to 10.3.0 or later,
neither machine
can boot 10.2.

Ronald