[Python-Dev] buildbot

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 4 00:11:07 CET 2006

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Sure, Python can be expected to do much better than random port
> maintainers, but....  Discussions with the port maintainers makes it
> hard to blame them.

Well, it's the same attitude that Fredrik Lundh just critized. It's
ok for a port maintainer to say "I don't have any energy to fix it
myself" (although I would hope he still says "patches will be
accepted"). It's not ok for a port maintainer to say "it's not
a bug - just upgrade your system". It *is* a bug for Python to
emit warnings on "major platforms" (PEP 7).

Also, it would be good if PEP 11 was considered before breaking
platforms. If some version of the system is not supported anymore,
fine - but *atleast* that should be mentioned in PEP 11, and better,
the process suggested in PEP 11 should be followed.

Regards,
Martin