[Python-Dev] Including zlib...

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 4 00:17:50 CET 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Martin checked in zlib to the Python svn repository.  Are we really sure
> that including zlib is the only path to whatever it is that it achieves?  If
> security holes in zlib turn up (they have in the past), new Python releases
> will have to be released quickly.

As Tim explains: this change doesn't change anything wrt. having to
rerelease. On Unix, nothing changes because the included zlib
isn't used (but, personally, I would accept contributions of a patch
to use it if there is no platform zlib). On Windows, nothing changes
really because now you have to update python24.dll, instead of updating
zlib.pyd - either requires a recompilation of the Python sources.

Regards,
Martin