[Python-Dev] buildno (Was: [Python-checkins] commit of r41907- python/trunk/Makefile.pre.in)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 6 01:33:53 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I was working on a patch to add a PY_BUILDNO macro to
> Include/patchlevel.h, which would have "$Revision$" as its value.

As you can see, this is done now. The value appears at the Python
level only for tags, though, because it will be unreliable for the
trunk and for branches.

> patchlevel.h seems like the natural place to put this, since any release
> manager is going to be modifying this file anyway.  PEP 101 should be
> updated so that updating patchlevel.h be the last commit before an svn
> export is done (but that PEP needs an overhaul anyway to change the cvs
> references into svn commands).

It would still be one level behind: patchlevel.h gets N, then 'svn cp'
creates the tag, producing N+1. OTOH, for a tag, the revision number
is nearly irrelevant.

Regards,
Martin