[Python-Dev] Draft proposal: Implicit self in Python 3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 01:55:29 CET 2006

Alexander Kozlovsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have some proposal for Python 3.0 (interesting one, from my point
> of view). I'm sorry for my English, it is not very good.

Your English seems fine. About the only thing I noticed is that you have the
meaning of 'function arguments' vs 'function parameters' switched from a
Python point of view - the parameters are defined as part of the function
definition, while the arguments are provided at call time. This is really a
minor semantic quibble though - I expect most people wouldn't have any real
trouble figuring out what you meant.

Even though I still disagree with it, this is one of the better reasoned "no
explicit self" proposals I've encountered - even if Guido ends up not liking
it, I believe it should still be recorded as a PEP on python.org.

To sum the proposal up in my own words:
   Eliminate the need for explicit class and self slots in class and instance
methods by implicitly providing those slots on all functions.

The main concern I have is with the answer to the question "How many
positional arguments does the function have if I retrieve it from the class,
rather than from an instance?" (this is the common concern for almost all
proposals to remove the explicit self and class_ slots).

That is, the rationale for requiring the explicit self is an outgrowth of the
fact that methods can be retrieved directly from the class:

      class Foo:
          def __init__(self, x):   # 1: Explicit 'self' argument
              self.x = x           # 2: 'self' must be used explicitly
          def bar(self, a, b):     # 3: There are three parameters...
              print self.x + a + b

      f = Foo.bar                  # We retrieve the unbound method
      f(Foo(10), 20, 30)           # And there are three arguments at call time
      f = Foo().bar                # Using an instance binds the first argument
      f(20, 30)                    # Which means there are two arguments left

You can also bypass the type machinery entirely, and retrieve the raw function
object from the class dictionary:

     f = Foo.__dict__["bar"] # This gives a function. . .
     f(Foo(10), 20, 30)      # which takes three arguments as written

Under the proposal being discussed, things become far less clear:

     class Foo:
         def __init__(x):         # 1: Implicit self
             .x = x               # 2: Brief form of: self.x = x
         def bar(a, b):           # 3: Two arguments...
             print .x + a + b

     f = Foo(10).bar              # We agree this accepts 2 arguments
     f = Foo.bar                  # How many arguments does f accept?
     f = Foo.__dict__["bar"]      # How many arguments does it accept now?

The answer to the first question *has* to be 3, or we lose too much
functionality - but that's seriously surprising (the method appears to require
two arguments when its defined, but actually requires 3 due to its being
retrieved from a class). And it still requires that a distinction be made
between instance, class and static methods in order to control the signature
of the retrieved method.

However, that answer creates its own problems - what if we have a 3-argument
function that does exactly what we want our method to do? We'd need some way
of signalling to the class that the function should be left alone when being
retrieved from the class, but have the first argument bound automatically when
being retrieved from an instance.

This is where the "Explicit is better than implicit" and "Practicality beats
purity" *both* kick in in favour of explicit self and class_ parameters - the
signature of the retrieved function is exactly what the source code says it
is, because there aren't any implicit parameters getting slipped into the
parameter list when you aren't looking.

As I see it, the real issue is that people are often coming from a Java or C++
background where you can't manipulate functions and classes as first-class
objects - the idea that the instance method signature could be written to
describe the signature of the unbound method returned by "Foo.bar" rather than
the bound method returned by "Foo().bar" is an entirely foreign concept.

Cheers,
Nick.