[Python-Dev] Draft proposal: Implicit self in Python 3.0

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Jan 8 22:47:47 CET 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 02:43:17PM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:

> [T]he editorialization that Python isn't going to be a functional language
> is both rather inaccurate, misses the real reason for statements, and
> needlessly alienates people who like functional programming

> So... maybe Guido or python-dev should write/vet the justifications too.

Oh, none of my examples were anything but that. Particularly the
justification. These were just quick ramblings from my side; all actual
pronouncements should be made channeling or being Guido, and the editorial
review to ease sensitive minds is a group effort.

(On the topic you quoted, though, I do feel that if people are using Python
while they are waiting for Python to turn into a functional language,
they're waiting for the wrong thing. Or at least, I hope so, or *I'm*
waiting for the wrong thing. So I'm not sure what's wrong about the
editorialization, but perhaps I'm just too insensitive towards functional
programming disciples. And I'm usually quite in tune with sensitive minds.
But we can discuss that off-list ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>