[Python-Dev] Include ctypes into core Python?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jan 10 21:55:02 CET 2006

I would like to suggest to include ctypes into core Python, starting
with the 2.5 release.

ctypes is nearing the 1.0 release, and works on Windows, OS X, linux,
possibly other platforms (provided that the processor is supported by
libffi), and just recently even on Windows CE.

ctypes does not depend on a libfii library installed on the system,
instead the libfii source code is compiled into the extension module.
libffi is copyright Red Hat, Inc, and released under a MIT style
license.

Up-to date docs for ctypes still have to be written, but I assume that
the 2.5 release timeframe leaves enough time for that.

Thomas