[Python-Dev] r42015 - peps/trunk

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:24:23 CET 2006

[Tim Peters]
>> Yes. please.  svn:externals should always pin to a specific revision
>> (or at least to a "frozen" tag).  Updating to a new revision then is
>> just a propedit away (to change the revision number); ditto for
>> backing off to an older revision if the newer one has problems.

[Fredrik Lundh]
> wasn't the whole point for this exercise

Sorry, I don't know what the whole point was.

> to make sure that the included version was always up to date.  if you pin
> it to a given version, all we got from this was a dependence on another SVN
> server.

And very easy updating to a new version ("a propedit away ..."), and
transparency about exactly what it is we're depending on ("revision
12345 of project XYZ").

> (and a can of SVN worms, including issues with locking/cleanup, etc)

I haven't experienced any of that.  I've experienced plenty of
locking/cleanup problems when a project switches _between_ making its
own copies and using svn:externals, but none so long as it sticks to
one way of doing that.  Even on Windows ;-)