[Python-Dev] Ph.D. dissertation ideas?

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 13 00:07:21 CET 2006

Brett,

Where are you doing your Phd and who will be your likely supervisor?
It does make a difference.

Your dissertation idea list seems to me to focus on implementation
projects and not on research.  Usually a dissertation proceeds from a
hypothesis leading to an experiment, some measurements, and conclusions.
Many universities tacitly expect a theorem and associated proof. The goal
of dissertation research is a completed approved dissertation, not some
intergalactic all encompassing contribution to human knowledge.
Dissertation research should, IMHO, focus on a small, manageable problem.

Frequently, universities have a large cooperative project involving many
graduate students, each of whom research a small, well defined topic areas
related to the larger project.   Is this the case for your dissertation?

What are your interests?  Are you interested in language structure,
language implementation, the formal interface between languages and
applications, or what.

Like most folks who lurk on this list, I have my list of things I'd like
to see someone research.  Tell us a bit more and I am sure you'll get lots
of us to share.

-d