[Python-Dev] Ph.D. dissertation ideas?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jan 13 08:05:44 CET 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> Hmm.  It's an idea.  I also thought of Python -> JavaScript compiler
> since JavaScript is not fun and getting to test using Python might be
> cool.  But not sure how useful that would be.  Plus I bet someone has
> does this with Java or something.

There's a Python project that compiles to Javascript:
http://www.aminus.org/blogs/index.php/phunt/2005/10/06/subway_s_new_ajax_framework

However, I think this is a bad idea.  The world doesn't need another
compiled language with leaky abstractions that is next to impossible to
debug.

Anyway, to chime in about something I'd really like to see, that maybe
fits in somewhere between graphics and language implementation, is the
ideas of Boxer (http://dewey.soe.berkeley.edu/boxer.html/) implemented
for Python.  Basically meaning that some of what we represent with
indentation in Python would be represented graphically (Boxer uses,
unsurprisingly, boxes).  Also a kind of window in the runtime of the
system -- variables in Boxer aren't names, but visual elements you can
see as the program runs.  From what I've seen of HyperCard -- or at
least what I choose to pay attention to ;) -- I think this kind of
concrete runtime is part of its appeal.  I have a lot of more specific
ideas related to this, if the idea interests you.

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org