[Python-Dev] str with base

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Jan 17 05:16:37 CET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:44:44 -0800, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at gmail.com> wrote:
>Is it finally time in Python 2.5 to allow the "obvious" use of, say,
>str(5,2) to give '101', just the converse of the way int('101',1)
>gives 5?  I'm not sure why str has never allowed this obvious use --
>any bright beginner assumes it's there and it's awkward to explain
>why it's not!-).  I'll be happy to propose a patch if the BDFL
>blesses this, but I don't even think it's worth a PEP... it's an
>inexplicable though long-standing omission (given the argumentative
>nature of this crowd I know I'll get pushback, but I still hope the
>BDFL can Pronounce about it anyway;-).

-1.  Confusing and non-obvious.  The functionality may be valuable but
it is mis-placed as a feature of str() or a method of the str type.  I
work with a lot of Python beginners too, and while they occassionally
ask for this functionality, I've never heard anyone wonder why str()
didn't provide it or suggest that it should.

Jean-Paul