[Python-Dev] str with base

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jan 17 11:30:37 CET 2006

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Is it finally time in Python 2.5 to allow the "obvious" use of, say,
> str(5,2) to give '101', just the converse of the way int('101',1)
> gives 5?  I'm not sure why str has never allowed this obvious use --
> any bright beginner assumes it's there and it's awkward to explain
> why it's not!-).  I'll be happy to propose a patch if the BDFL
> blesses this, but I don't even think it's worth a PEP... it's an
> inexplicable though long-standing omission (given the argumentative
> nature of this crowd I know I'll get pushback, but I still hope the
> BDFL can Pronounce about it anyway;-).

Hmm, how about this:

str(obj, ifisunicode_decode_using_encoding='ascii',
         ifisinteger_use_base=10,
         ifisfile_open_and_read_it=False,
         isdecimal_use_precision=10,
         ismoney_use_currency='EUR',
         isdatetime_use_format='%c')

and so on ?!

Or even better:

str(obj, **kws) and then call obj.__str__(**kws) instead of
just obj.__str__() ?!

Seriously, shouldn't these more specific "convert to a string"
functions be left to specific object methods or helper
functions ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 17 2006)