[Python-Dev] str with base

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Jan 18 00:28:43 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:23:29AM -0500, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> I think a method 5664400.to_base(13) sounds nice.
[And others suggested int-methods too]

I would like to point out that this is almost, but not quite, entirely as
inapropriate as using str(). Integers don't have a base. String
representations of integers -- and indeed, numbers in general, as the Python
tutorial explains in Appendix B -- have a base. Adding such a method to
integers (and, I presume, longs) would beg the question why floats, Decimals
and complex numbers don't have them.

In-favour-of-%2b-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>