[Python-Dev] Python icon

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Jan 18 21:40:44 CET 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>    Steve> We should also add script explaining how to download the beta
>    Steve> site data and the generation software so people can play with it
>    Steve> and get ready to be webmasters :-)
>
>My first attempt ended almost immediately.  Too much software to download
>and install for anything like casual use.

For casual use why not just edit the rest file? That was one of main
points about creating a file based admin system... Most users can just
edit the rest files or data files (one of the library dependences could
have been avoided by using xml for the data files but I'm not sure this
would have gone down well). Creating new pages is also mostly just
writing rest content (if you want to do this but can't be bothered to
install the software, send your work over to me and I'll add it). You
only need to have all of the software if you are creating whole new
sections, in which case it wouldn't really be casual use.

I may be wrong in saying this, but I thought the main idea of having
software libraries was to use them? I avoided writing specific modules
because the software was out there that did things a lot better than I
could rewrite. Is there a level of library use that is acceptable beyond
which we should rewrite components or bundle libraries? I would have
thought most applications that involved web site creation would have at
least three or four external library dependencies (templating, data
interface, web server/http module).

Tim Parkin