[Python-Dev] Python icon

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Jan 18 23:26:40 CET 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     >> My first attempt ended almost immediately.  Too much software to download
>     >> and install for anything like casual use.
>
>     Tim> For casual use why not just edit the rest file?
>
> Maybe I misread the directions.  I thought I had to install some new library
> I'd never heard of (syck), Python bindings for the same, and maybe some
> other stuff.  It clearly wasn't just "svn co ..." and start editing.  In any
> case, I couldn't tell what needed doing from the trac site.
>
> I'll take another look when I have a chance.  I would be happy to simple
> edit rest files if I knew what to edit.

To build all of the web pages, you need to have a yaml parser installed.
As much as I'd like a pure python yaml parser, the syck c parser is
currently the definitive implementation (and the pysyck wrapper at
xitology the definitive python wrapper). The syck files are used to
manage the data for the templates but 95% of the pages I've migrated
have just been a simple nav yaml file with a rest file for the body of
the content. The beta site is being rebuilt on commit so if you see any
content missing, it needs generating. I've added a couple of tickets
highlighting large areas that need work (the tickets on
psf.pollenation.net with "CONTENT" as a prefix).

If you want to proof content you can just go to the appropriate data
directory (matching the url of the page in question) and edit the rest
file. If you want to add new pages, it would be good to be able to build
the site to check what you have added is working. However, as there
aren't many people working on the site, I'd be more than happy to take
whatever you can supply and integrate it into the site.

At the moment I'm torn between making the software easier to use or
making sure content is migrated. It should only take about 10 or 20
minutes to get the software installed (if it takes longer then please
tell me what the problems are and I'll try to document any issues and
streamline the process - I'd rather not optimise the install/docs until
there are specific problems - I think my time is better spent getting
some of the more complex content migrated, and ironing out the last
problems with the css, and getting new images for the home page and
writing new content for the 'for ...' sections and getting the success
stories copied over, and getting wiki content integrated and getting the
docs integrated into the site better, and ..well .. other stuff).

I really want to make the website easier for people to work on and fully
intend to provide some form of simple web based content management when
enough content has been migrated to allow the site to go live.

I hope that wasn't too much of a rant.. :-) Drop me an email if I can
help in any way.

Tim