[Python-Dev] str with base

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 19 20:12:38 CET 2006

On 1/19/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > I think we ought to let this sit for a while and come back to it in a
> > few week's time. Is 'base' really the right name? It could just as
> > well be considered a conversion in the other direction.
>
> the same applies to hex and oct, of course.

Right. And this is not a hypothetical issue either -- in Perl, hex and
oct *do* work the other way I believe. More reasons to get rid of
these in Python 3000. Perhaps we should also get rid of hex/oct
lterals?

> as for base itself, I'm more concerned about the google product place-
> ment here.  what's next?  a froogle builtin?

The default __import__ will use Google Code to locate an appropriate
module to import instead of restricting itself to the boring and
predictable sys.path.