[Python-Dev] When will regex really go away?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 24 19:38:04 CET 2006

On 1/24/06, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> I ran Fredrik's listmodules script in my current sandbox and got a
> deprecation warning for the regex module.  According to PEP 4 it is already
> obsolete.  I saw nothing there about the timeframe for actual removal.  Will
> it ever go away?

ASAP please!

PEP 4 lists these that were already obsolete in 2.0:

    addpack, cmp, cmpcache, codehack, dircmp, dump, fmt, lockfile,
    newdir, Para, poly, regex, regsub, tb, timing, util, whatsound,
    tzmod, find, grep, packmail, ni, rand, soundex, cl, sv

of these, regex, regsub, and timing are still importable in 2.4 (I
don't have a 2.5 handy here at Google, and my home machine seems
inaccessible). ISTM these last three can safely be dropped now.