[Python-Dev] Long-time shy failure in test_socket_ssl

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:22:21 CET 2006

Has anyone else noticed this?  For a long time (possibly years), I see
an infrequent error in test_socket_ssl, like so (this is on WinXP
Pro):

test_socket_ssl
test test_socket_ssl crashed -- exceptions.TypeError: 'NoneType'
object is not callable

I haven't been able to provoke it by running test_socket_ssl in a
loop, and I don't have a guess about what's going wrong by eyeballing
the code.

test_rude_shutdown() is dicey, relying on a sleep() instead of proper
synchronization to make it probable that the `listener` thread goes
away before the main thread tries to connect, but while that race may
account for bogus TestFailed deaths, it doesn't seem possible that it
could account for the kind of failure above.