[Python-Dev] The path module PEP

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Jan 26 00:49:51 CET 2006

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Remove __div__ (Ian, Jason, Michael, Oleg)
>
> This is one of those where everyone (me too) says "I don't care either
> way." If that is so, then I see no reason to change it unless someone
> can show a scenario in which it hurts readability. Plus, a few people
> have said that they like the shortcut.
>
> * http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-July/292251.html
> * http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054496.html
> * http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-July/291628.html
> * http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-July/291621.html

Curious how often I use os.path.join and division, I searched a project
of mine, and in 12k lines there were 34 uses of join, and 1 use of
division.  In smaller scripts os.path.join tends to show up a lot more
(per line).  I'm sure there's people who use division far more than I,
and os.path.join less, but I'm guessing the majority of users are more
like me.

That's not necessarily a justification of / for paths, but at least this
use for "/" wouldn't be obscure or mysterious after you get a little
experience seeing code that uses it.