[Python-Dev] Include ctypes into core Python?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Jan 26 16:43:58 CET 2006

James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> writes:

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Thomas Heller wrote:
>

>> Several of these files are licensed under GPL:
>>
>> aclocal.m4 config-ml.in config.guess config.sub depcomp ltcf-c.sh
>> ltconfig missing
>>

> Are you sure? The copies of aclocal.m4 and config-ml.in both disagree
> with you. aclocal seems to have a completely liberal license, and
> config-ml has a "whatever the license of the program it's building"
> license.

It seems you are right:

config-ml.in: GPL with special exception.
config.guess: GPL with special exception.
config.sub:   GPL with special exception.
configure: no limitation
depcomp:      GPL with special exception.
install-sh:   X-11 license
ltcf-c.sh:    GPL with special exception.
ltconfig:     GPL with special exception.
ltmain.sh:    GPL with special exception.

aclocal.m4:   see below

Is aclocal.m4 an exception? It has several copyright notices.  The first
one gives unlimited permissions to copy and/or distribute, but sections
after that have no exception clause.  I'm unsure what this means.

The files that ctypes uses are in CVS here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/ctypes/ctypes/source/gcc/libffi/?only_with_tag=branch_1_0

Thomas