[Python-Dev] DRAFT: python-dev Summary for 2006-01-01 through 2006-01-15

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 21:02:49 CET 2006

On 26-jan-2006, at 16:33, Thomas Heller wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> writes:

>> It shouldn't be too hard to use Python's main configure script to
>> calculate the information necessary to build libffi. A lot of it is
>> already calculated anyway (sizeof various type, endianness), some can
>> be hardcoded (FFI_NO_RAW_API).
>>
>> In PyObjC I just compile the files I need from my setup.py. But I
>> have
>> an easy task, I just need to support two CPU architectures on one OS.
>
> Thanks for the encouragement - Martin suggested a similar approach.
>
>> From my understanding (which goes not very far) the configuration
>> does
> two things: determine the set of source files that needs to go in
> depending on the cpu architecture, and to determine some
> information and
> make them available in #defines.  I have to check if this is possible
> without patching the libffi sources themselves. I guess I could look
> into the PyObjC setuop script.

PyObjC's solution is kind of a hack: I always compile all files needed
for i386 and PPC support and use #ifdef statements to make sure only the
files for the current platform are actually used. This is a hack to make
it easier to build a universal (aka fat) binary of PyObjC.

> Personally I only have access to machines running windows, linux (x86
> and x86_64), and OS X (plus possibly a Mac running ubuntu), so I could
> only do it for those.  Maybe support for other architectures can be
> added by volunteers?
>
> Besides:  James Y Knight seems to be correct that all the scripts
> needed
> to build libffi seems to have this special exception from the GPL.

I should catch up on python-dev before looking into this. I just
noted the
same thing :-)

Ronald