[Python-Dev] / as path join operator

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 28 01:40:39 CET 2006

[Jason Orendorff]
> Filesystem paths are in fact strings on all operating systems I'm
> aware of.  And it's no accident or performance optimization.  It's
> good design.

Isn't that simply because filesystems aren't object orientated?  I
can't call methods of a path through the filesystem.  There's a
difference between a path, which is, yes, always (?) a string, and a
Path object that provides convenient methods/properties.

(Maybe one of the experimental object-orientated file systems has non-
string paths.  I have no idea).

=Tony.Meyer