[Python-Dev] DRAFT: python-dev Summary for 2006-01-01 through 2006-01-15

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 20:31:20 CET 2006

[Martin v. Löwis]
> Also, I firmly believe that the FSF would *not* sue the PSF, but
> instead first ask that the status is corrected.

I'd say that's almost certain.  Like any organization with something
fuzzy to protect, the FSF has far more to lose than to gain by daring
a court to rule on their beliefs.  Of course the PSF is in a similar
boat:  both parties would view a lawsuit as a rock-bottom last resort.

I'm one PSF Director who would vote to capitulate in an instant to
avoid fighting the FSF over readline, and not because of legal
arguments, but because I respect their wishes about how _their_ work
can be used.  OTOH, in the absence of a statement from the FSF that
they're unhappy about Python's readline module, I wouldn't yank it
just to avoid a theoretical possibility that the FSF might complain
someday.